International Coffee Council - 4 to 8 March 2013
The International Coffee Council met in London from 4 to 8 March 2013, chaired by Mr David Braun of Switzerland and considered the following matters:
- Coffee Leaf Rust in Central America: The Council adopted Resolution 450 with respect to action to address the critical situation in Central America caused by the outbreak of coffee leaf rust in this region.
- Market reports and studies: Members received a report on the world coffee market situation and discussed studies on coffee re-exports by Germany and the world trade of soluble coffee.
Market report l Re-exports of coffee by Germany l World trade of soluble coffee
- New share of markets and their weightings in the calculation of group and composite prices: The Council approved revisions to the share of markets and to the weightings for each group of coffee in the calculation of the ICO composite indicator price which will take effect from 1 October 2013.
- Seminar: the ICO held a seminar on 5 March on trends in new consuming markets, chaired by Mr Andrea Illy of EU-Italy.
- Promotion: the Council reviewed progress on the ICO plan for promotion of consumption and market development.
A small working group will work intersessionally on implementing the plan with the Chairperson of the Promotion and Market Development Committee, Mr Andrea Illy of EU-Italy.
- Projects: The Council approved four new project proposals for submission to the Common Fund for Commodities:
- Promoting coffee sustainability through productivity increases and youth and gender participation in Cameroon and the Central African Republic - More
- Promoting a sustainable coffee sector in Burundi - More l Extract of the press release of the Embassy of Burundi
- Quality, sustainability and networking to improve the competitiveness of the Veracruz coffee sector - More
- Empowering women in Brazilian coffee cooperatives to improve coffee quality - More
- 3rd Consultative Forum: the 3rd Consultative Forum on Coffee Sector Finance will take place in Brazil during the week of 9 to 13 September.
It will use a forcefield model to explore the topic of aggregation and a small working group will work intersessionally on the preparations for the event.
- Studies on risk and financing in the coffee sector are being prepared by the World Bank in collaboration with the ICO, aimed at three different audiences: coffee producers, coffee trading enterprises and policy-makers.
Interim documents will be presented in September.
- Coffee and climate toolbox: The Council received a presentation on a coffee and climate toolbox.
- 50th anniversary of the ICO: Mr Elmiro Nascimento of the State department of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply of Minas Gerais reported on preparations for hosting the 50th anniversary meetings in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil in September 2013.
- Annual Review: The Council received the Annual Review for 2011/12, containing a report on activities during the last coffee year.
- Membership of the ICA 2007: The Council reviewed the status of the 2007 Agreement.
As at 8 March 2013, 44 Governments have completed all membership procedures and a further 6 Governments have signed the Agreement.
- Office-holders for 2012/13: New Chairpersons and Vice-Chairpersons of the Consultative Forum and ICO Committees were appointed during the week.
- Next meeting: The Council will hold its 111th Session in Belo Horizonte, Brazil from 9 to 13 September 2013
- Technical presentations made during the week to the Council, PSCB and other ICO bodies: More