Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly is the ICO ?
The International Coffee Organization is an intergovernmental organization that brings together major coffee producing and consuming countries to tackle the challenges facing the world coffee sector through international cooperation. It administers the International Coffee Agreement and is dedicated strengthening the global coffee sector and promoting its expansion in a market-based environment for the betterment of all participants. The objectives of the Agreement reflect the priorities of Member Governments and are implemented through policy decisions by the International Coffee Council, and an annual programme of activities implemented by the Secretariat.
Other FAQ Within This Category
- Why do we need an international organization to look after coffee ?
- What exactly is the ICO ?
- What is the International Coffee Agreement ?
- How did the ICO come into existence ?
- Where does the money come from ?
- Is the ICO a cartel ? Does the ICO operate a quota system ?
- What is the impact of the ICO on world trade in coffee ?
- To what extent do non-governmental organizations participate in the work of the ICO ?
- How far does the ICO represent the coffee growers themselves ?
- What is the extent of private sector involvement in the work of the ICO ?
- What is the role of the EU ?
- What happens at Council meetings ?
- How are decisions taken in the Council ?
- Who can attend meetings ?
- View all FAQ Categories