Regional Symposium on Coffee and Health
25 July 2008
A Regional Symposium on Coffee and Health was held in San Salvador, El Salvador, from 25 to 26 July 2008. The event was inaugurated by the President of El Salvador, Elias Antonio Saca, and was also attended by the Minister of Agriculture, Mario Ernesto Salaverría, the Minister of Health, José Guillermo Maza Brizuela, the Special Assistant to the President for Coffee Affairs, José Antonio Salaverría, and the Executive Director of the Coffee Council of El Salvador, Ricardo H. Espitia. The Executive Director of the ICO, Néstor Osorio, gave the keynote speech, in which he highlighted the role of the ICO, developed over the last five years, in providing information about coffee and health, as well as showing recent trends in the world coffee market. Other speakers included Dr Cristina Scaccini, Dr Astrid Nehlig and Prof. Jaako Tuomilehto. In addition, Mrs Sylvia R. Sargeant made a presentation on the Positively Coffee and Health Care Professions Programmes, both of which are supported by the ICO. The first day was targeted at a general audience, while the second was specifically directed towards members of the medical and health care professions. More than 400 people from the different countries in Central America participated in the event and decided to institute a coordinated effort to disseminate information by medical professionals on coffee and health issues.
|ICO Indicator prices
(US cents/lb) 11/10/2019
1 October is #InternationalCoffeeDay
Every year on 1 October, the world comes together to celebrate coffee and recognise the millions of people across the globe - from farmers, to roasters, baristas, coffee shop owners and more - who work hard to create and serve the beverage we all love.
This year we're on a collective mission to help coffee farmers around the world receive a fair, living income. But to do it we need your help, find out more at: International Coffee Day
Latest ICO Studies & Reports
• National Quality Standards (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published September 2018)
• Maximum residue limits (Published September 2018)
• Country Coffee Profile: Ghana (Published September 2018)
• Mixtures and substitutes (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published April 2018)
• Development of coffee trade flows (Published April 2018)
• Value addition in the African coffee sector (Published September 2017)
• Assessing the economic sustainability of coffee growing (Published September 2016)
• Coffee in the Russian Federation (Published August 2015)
• Coffee in China (Published August 2015)
• The impact of the price of oil and the US dollar exchange rate on coffee prices (Published August 2015)
• Sustainability of the Coffee Sector in Africa (Published August 2015)
ICO Coffee Library
The ICO has a unique Library containing an international reference collection, built up over 40 years of more than 13,000 monographs (books, reports, theses, pamphlets) and over 200 periodical titles covering all aspects of coffee.