5th African Scientific Coffee Conference, Kigali, Rwanda
11 February 2009
The 5th African Scientific Coffee Conference took place in Kigali, Rwanda on 11 February 2009 on the theme of “Linking research results to smallholder livelihoods in Africa”. The conference was sponsored by the Common Fund for Commodities (CFC) and brought together scientists and researchers to discuss the results of CFC/ICO coffee development projects and the contribution of research to improving the livelihoods of coffee farmers in the region. The Chairman of the Coffee Board of India, Mr G.V. Krishna Rau, and the Director of the Central Coffee Research Institute of India also attended the conference. Mr Denis Seudieu, the ICO Chief Economist, presented a paper entitled “Emerging challenges and opportunities in the international coffee markets: securing the future of African coffees”, and the Executive Director made the concluding remarks at the Conference. The results of three CFC/ICO projects were presented by representatives of the respective Project Executing Agencies: “Improvement of coffee production in Africa by the control of coffee wilt disease”; “Improving coffee quality in East and Central Africa through enhanced processing practices” and “Integrated white stem borer management in smallholder coffee farms in India, Malawi and Zimbabwe”. In the case of the last project, the Executive Director distributed the final report to participating countries.
|ICO Indicator prices
(US cents/lb) 18/07/2019
1 October is #InternationalCoffeeDay.
ICD2018 chose a very special theme for this year’s celebrations: ‘Women in Coffee’. Women play as important a role in the whole of the coffee chain as men, from planting the seeds to processing to trading to brewing… and drinking it. To find out more visit the dedicated International Coffee Day website.
Latest ICO Studies & Reports
• National Quality Standards (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published September 2018)
• Maximum residue limits (Published September 2018)
• Country Coffee Profile: Ghana (Published September 2018)
• Mixtures and substitutes (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published April 2018)
• Development of coffee trade flows (Published April 2018)
• Value addition in the African coffee sector (Published September 2017)
• Assessing the economic sustainability of coffee growing (Published September 2016)
• Coffee in the Russian Federation (Published August 2015)
• Coffee in China (Published August 2015)
• The impact of the price of oil and the US dollar exchange rate on coffee prices (Published August 2015)
• Sustainability of the Coffee Sector in Africa (Published August 2015)
ICO Coffee Library
The ICO has a unique Library containing an international reference collection, built up over 40 years of more than 13,000 monographs (books, reports, theses, pamphlets) and over 200 periodical titles covering all aspects of coffee.