President-elect of Colombia Juan Manuel Santos
6 July 2010
President-elect Juan Manuel Santos reiterates the support of his Government for the International Coffee Organization (ICO): The President-elect of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos, visited the ICO where he met with the Executive Director of this body, NÚstor Osorio. During their meeting they discussed the global coffee situation, the satisfactory growth in consumption and the problems of various producing countries that have been affected by extreme weather conditions, rising production costs and currency appreciation. Colombia is one of the most affected countries with a production loss of around 30% in the last two years, but is expected to recover in the next harvest. The price level for Colombian coffee is currently around US$2.30 per lb, the highest recorded in 12 years.
President-elect Santos, who represented Colombia at the ICO from 1970 to 1980, recalled the days of intense negotiations that resulted in important benefits for Colombia. He also confirmed his support for the work being done by NÚstor Osorio as Executive Director of the Organization which has 77 Member countries, and highlighted the significant role of the ICO as a global forum for consultations on coffee, defending the interests of producers and cooperation with consumers.
|ICO Indicator prices
(US cents/lb) 18/10/2018
1 October is #InternationalCoffeeDay.
This year we have chosen a very special theme for this year’s celebrations: ‘Women in Coffee’. Women play as important a role in the whole of the coffee chain as men, from planting the seeds to processing to trading to brewing… and drinking it. To find out more visit the dedicated International Coffee Day website.
Latest ICO Studies & Reports
• National Quality Standards (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published September 2018)
• Maximum residue limits (Published September 2018)
• Country Coffee Profile: Ghana (Published September 2018)
• Mixtures and substitutes (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published April 2018)
• Development of coffee trade flows (Published April 2018)
• Value addition in the African coffee sector (Published September 2017)
• Assessing the economic sustainability of coffee growing (Published September 2016)
• Coffee in the Russian Federation (Published August 2015)
• Coffee in China (Published August 2015)
• The impact of the price of oil and the US dollar exchange rate on coffee prices (Published August 2015)
• Sustainability of the Coffee Sector in Africa (Published August 2015)
ICO Coffee Library
The ICO has a unique Library containing an international reference collection, built up over 40 years of more than 13,000 monographs (books, reports, theses, pamphlets) and over 200 periodical titles covering all aspects of coffee.