The Executive Director is received by the President of Côte d’Ivoire
23 November 2005
The Executive Director, Dr. Néstor Osorio, visited the President of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, His Excellency Mr Laurent Gbagbo. On this occasion, he presented his compliments to the President and his appreciation for his continuing support. The President warmly welcomed him and underlined the importance of coffee to the economic and social life of the Côte d’Ivoire and the role of his country in international trade. Dr. Osorio commented on the current market situation and highlighted the need to invest in the introduction of new technology and to renovate coffee plantations in Africa in general and in Côte d’Ivoire in particular. This would help to maintain competitiveness and better revenues from coffee originating in the region. He thanked the President of Côte d’Ivoire and his Government for their support to the International Coffee Organization and indicated that this support would be crucial as negotiations for a new or extended Agreement would start in January 2006. He also expressed his satisfaction that Mr St-Cyr Djikalou from Côte d’Ivoire was chairing the International Coffee Council for coffee year 2005/06. Dr Osorio shared his views with the President on the coffee crisis and lessons learned to avoid a similar situation recurring in future. President Laurent Gbagbo mentioned the difficulties that Côte d’Ivoire had experienced in the last few years, aggravated by the recent internal conflict. The President also stressed the need to reinforce coffee institutions to support and assist coffee growers. Also present at the audience with the President were Minister Alain Gauze, Special Adviser of the President, Mr St-Cyr Djikalou, Permanent Representative of Côte d’Ivoire to the ICO, Mrs Josefa Sacko, Secretary General of IACO, and Mr Denis Seudieu, Chief Economist of the ICO.
|ICO Indicator prices
(US cents/lb) 19/10/2018
1 October is #InternationalCoffeeDay.
This year we have chosen a very special theme for this year’s celebrations: ‘Women in Coffee’. Women play as important a role in the whole of the coffee chain as men, from planting the seeds to processing to trading to brewing… and drinking it. To find out more visit the dedicated International Coffee Day website.
Latest ICO Studies & Reports
• National Quality Standards (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published September 2018)
• Maximum residue limits (Published September 2018)
• Country Coffee Profile: Ghana (Published September 2018)
• Mixtures and substitutes (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published April 2018)
• Development of coffee trade flows (Published April 2018)
• Value addition in the African coffee sector (Published September 2017)
• Assessing the economic sustainability of coffee growing (Published September 2016)
• Coffee in the Russian Federation (Published August 2015)
• Coffee in China (Published August 2015)
• The impact of the price of oil and the US dollar exchange rate on coffee prices (Published August 2015)
• Sustainability of the Coffee Sector in Africa (Published August 2015)
ICO Coffee Library
The ICO has a unique Library containing an international reference collection, built up over 40 years of more than 13,000 monographs (books, reports, theses, pamphlets) and over 200 periodical titles covering all aspects of coffee.