Record exports in coffee year 2017/18
9 November 2018
Total coffee exports increased each year since 2010/11 with a new record reached in 2017/18 at 121.86 million bags, 2% higher than 2016/17. In the twelve months ending September 2018, exports of green Arabica totalled 70.95 million bags compared to 70.51 million bags last year; whereas green Robusta exports amounted to 39.24 million bags compared to 38.87 million bags. Total shipments of all forms of coffee increased in four out of the ten largest exporters for coffee year 2017/18, including the two largest, Brazil and Vietnam. World coffee consumption is provisionally estimated at 161.93 million bags in coffee year 2017/18, led by an increase of 3.1% to 35.9 million bags in Asia & Oceania’s consumption. While coffee consumption is estimated 1.8% higher in coffee year 2017/18, coffee production exceeded this by 1.59 million bags. This surplus and the higher volume of shipments contributed to the low prices in 2017/18. Read the latest Coffee Market Report>>
|ICO Indicator prices
(US cents/lb) 18/01/2019
1 October is #InternationalCoffeeDay.
This year we chose a very special theme for this year’s celebrations: ‘Women in Coffee’. Women play as important a role in the whole of the coffee chain as men, from planting the seeds to processing to trading to brewing… and drinking it. To find out more visit the dedicated International Coffee Day website.
Latest ICO Studies & Reports
• National Quality Standards (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published September 2018)
• Maximum residue limits (Published September 2018)
• Country Coffee Profile: Ghana (Published September 2018)
• Mixtures and substitutes (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published April 2018)
• Development of coffee trade flows (Published April 2018)
• Value addition in the African coffee sector (Published September 2017)
• Assessing the economic sustainability of coffee growing (Published September 2016)
• Coffee in the Russian Federation (Published August 2015)
• Coffee in China (Published August 2015)
• The impact of the price of oil and the US dollar exchange rate on coffee prices (Published August 2015)
• Sustainability of the Coffee Sector in Africa (Published August 2015)
ICO Coffee Library
The ICO has a unique Library containing an international reference collection, built up over 40 years of more than 13,000 monographs (books, reports, theses, pamphlets) and over 200 periodical titles covering all aspects of coffee.