Mr. Osorio, keynote speaker at "Coffee Outlook 2007”, Vietnam
4 December 2007
The Executive Director, Mr. Néstor Osorio, was a keynote speaker at the opening ceremony of “Coffee Outlook 2007”, held in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam from 4 to 6 December 2007. In his address, Mr. Osorio gave an overview of the market situation, noting the buoyant pattern of consumption and consolidation of price levels which had characterized the market in recent months. He highlighted the contribution of Asian countries to the world coffee market, and the importance of Vietnam and other countries in the region including India, Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand both in supplying coffee and in increasing internal consumption. Mr. Osorio further noted the key role of Vietnam, the world’s second largest producer of coffee (around 18 million bags in 2006/07), in contributing to a sustainable world coffee economy, and in providing supplies for global consumption, and recognized the efforts being made by the Vietnamese coffee authorities, the Vietnam Coffee-Cocoa Association (VICOFA), to improve coffee quality. During his visit, he met Mr. Van Thanh Huy, Chairman of VICOFA, and Mr. Nguyen Tri Ngoc, Director, Department of Crop Production at the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development to discuss developments in the coffee sector in Vietnam. He also travelled to the province of Daklak with Mr. Doàn Triêu Nhan, Vice-Chairman of VICOFA, where he visited some of the country’s most important plantations and processing plants. On behalf of VICOFA, Mr. Nhan awarded Mr. Osorio a campaign medal ”for the cause of Vietnamese coffee”, in recognition of his great contribution to the Vietnamese coffee industry.
|ICO Indicator prices
(US cents/lb) 17/10/2018
1 October is #InternationalCoffeeDay.
This year we have chosen a very special theme for this year’s celebrations: ‘Women in Coffee’. Women play as important a role in the whole of the coffee chain as men, from planting the seeds to processing to trading to brewing… and drinking it. To find out more visit the dedicated International Coffee Day website.
Latest ICO Studies & Reports
• National Quality Standards (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published September 2018)
• Maximum residue limits (Published September 2018)
• Country Coffee Profile: Ghana (Published September 2018)
• Mixtures and substitutes (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published April 2018)
• Development of coffee trade flows (Published April 2018)
• Value addition in the African coffee sector (Published September 2017)
• Assessing the economic sustainability of coffee growing (Published September 2016)
• Coffee in the Russian Federation (Published August 2015)
• Coffee in China (Published August 2015)
• The impact of the price of oil and the US dollar exchange rate on coffee prices (Published August 2015)
• Sustainability of the Coffee Sector in Africa (Published August 2015)
ICO Coffee Library
The ICO has a unique Library containing an international reference collection, built up over 40 years of more than 13,000 monographs (books, reports, theses, pamphlets) and over 200 periodical titles covering all aspects of coffee.