The Executive Director addressed the 16th International Coffee Seminar of Santos
17 May 2006
The theme of his address was the market situation and the future outlook over the next ten years, with particular emphasis on consumption and, in particular, consumption in coffee producing countries.
The Executive Director reviewed the situation of the coffee market, noting that at present with a forecast of world production in 2006/07 of around 120 million bags, compared with consumption of around 118 million bags, there was a greater balance between supply and emand than had been the case for many years. The challenge would be to develop appropriate policies broadly to maintain this balance. Mr. Osorio made a detailed analysis of consumption in coffee producing countries and highlighted that promoting such consumption was an important policy objective at the ICO. The example of Brazil was a major reference point since it had succeeded in doubling domestic consumption from 8 million bags in 1988 to 16 million bags in 2006. The ICO had used this positive experience to commission a detailed manual to serve as a guide to other producing countries on ways of increasing local consumption and this matter will be one of the main themes at ICO meetings in London at the end of May 2006.
|ICO Indicator prices
(US cents/lb) 19/07/2019
1 October is #InternationalCoffeeDay.
ICD2018 chose a very special theme for this year’s celebrations: ‘Women in Coffee’. Women play as important a role in the whole of the coffee chain as men, from planting the seeds to processing to trading to brewing… and drinking it. To find out more visit the dedicated International Coffee Day website.
Latest ICO Studies & Reports
• National Quality Standards (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published September 2018)
• Maximum residue limits (Published September 2018)
• Country Coffee Profile: Ghana (Published September 2018)
• Mixtures and substitutes (Published September 2018)
• Gender equality in the coffee sector (Published April 2018)
• Development of coffee trade flows (Published April 2018)
• Value addition in the African coffee sector (Published September 2017)
• Assessing the economic sustainability of coffee growing (Published September 2016)
• Coffee in the Russian Federation (Published August 2015)
• Coffee in China (Published August 2015)
• The impact of the price of oil and the US dollar exchange rate on coffee prices (Published August 2015)
• Sustainability of the Coffee Sector in Africa (Published August 2015)
ICO Coffee Library
The ICO has a unique Library containing an international reference collection, built up over 40 years of more than 13,000 monographs (books, reports, theses, pamphlets) and over 200 periodical titles covering all aspects of coffee.